Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tips #2 - Part II

So here I am... trying to solve the puzzle...

I began to analyze the tricks behind using DPNs and adequate length of circular needles; the bottom-line is that you must be able to divide the stiches equally among the needles (or on the cable for the circular needles - this can be a bit tricky) so that you can work as usual on some part of the fabric while leaving some parts on the other needles/cable on hold, and you have to do this in turns.  I only have two pairs of circular needles (3.5 and 4.5 mm) of 60 cm in my possession, but they are not long enough to allow me to move (and shift) comfortably between the parts that I'm working on and the part on hold.  So I decided to invest on two new pairs of circular needles (this time, 4mm - BOTH!).  I divided the stitches into two equal parts on different cables as I knit; I guess this is the closest I can get to using DPNs (yea... yea.. they are also double-pointed, with cable in between the needles :p  ).  Note that I'm using two pairs of circular needles for this purpose, but only a pair of circular needles are involves at a time as I knit in turns, and this is what I got:



And the end result:
 

.. a heightened level of satisfaction; for I can defeat the shortness of (tools) supplies in achieving my goal of... seamless bootie! HA HA

(*Note: you need to take extra care not to leave the adjacent stitches (the last and the first stitches) too loose; otherwise this will produce a bigger gap as compared to other stitches... and I just found out that this is referred to as 'ladders'. Well, at least I don't have to sew the seam anymore!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please use this form to leave a comment: